Welcome to ENGL 377

10431495_10204120478746032_4097534554046205649_n
Hi! I’m Daryl. In addition to being a writer, I am a professor at UAF and direct the Creative Writing Program. I’m the author author of a nonfiction book titled  Bicycling Beyond the Divide, and a short story collection called Where We Land. This is my first foray into online teaching, and I’m very excited about it. I’m also excited to get to know you all through your work. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. I’m here to help!

Welcome! This is the website for ENGL 377, Spring 2017.

In this course we will be writing and reading creative nonfiction. Creative nonfiction is a literary genre that can take many forms including memoir, personal essay, travel and nature writing, literary journalism and lyric essays.  In short, it is the art of representing the truth as seen through an individual writer’s experiences, observations, memories, and thoughts. The class will help you build an understanding of prose craft and technique through a variety of exercises and writing tools and will focus on the development of the “habit” of art, emphasizing exploration and risk taking, in order to push you to write in new and imaginative ways.  In the beginning weeks of class, we will focus on generating material, and experimenting with different craft techniques. Finally, this course will emphasize writing as process; it can only take shape through multiple revisions. You will be expected to write at length, read selections from professional writers, and respond to the work of your classmates.

It is important that you to write what is urgent and essential to who you are — to make your essays personal, to help you develop your writing persona, the character who is you, telling a story.

Personal narratives and essays need a pulse, a life beneath the surface. Finding that pulse is the challenge we as writers face.